Careers in Tech: Remote Work (Developer's Edition)

In this meetup, we’ll have an open discussion with guest panellists that are working actively in the tech industry in Jamaica and across the globe about the following topics and more:

• Getting started in the tech industry
  • Recommended courses and learning materials
  • How to gain experience and exposure to software development.
  • Getting hired as a software developer
  • The current landscape of the tech industry and what is needed for exponential growth.

Agenda

• 6:00 pm - Welcome Slides
  • 6:15 pm - Recap of the last session
  • 6:30 pm - Discussion with Guest Panellists
  • 7:30 pm - Breakout session
  • Wrapup

Guest Speakers

• Joedian Reid, Jamaican Full-Stack Developer turned Technical Project Manager and Founder of CrackTheStack.
  • Bianca Welds, Community Leader of the Kingston Wordpress Group and Digital Innovation Manager at VMBS.
  • Rohan Smith, Founder at Nalij and tech entrepreneur.

If you have any question, please leave them in the comment below.

General Questions for Panellists from the moderator

• What has your experience been like working remotely and how has this changed since the onset of Covid-19?
  • How have you managed team dynamics remotely?
  • As employees become move towards remote work,

○ What are some traits/factors you think digital professionals should prioritize to be successful working remotely?

■ E.g. soft skills, personality

○ How did you position yourself to secure a remote work position and do you have any advice for digital professionals seeking to increase their visibility and land a remote position locally or abroad?

• If you have worked in an office before, what challenges have you faced working remotely as opposed to working in the office? What opportunities has it provided as opposed to working in an office?

• What are some of the pitfalls of remote work and how can digital professionals avoid them?

• Where are some of the places that persons can seek remote work opportunities?

• How much change do you see for the nature of work in the future? Do you think that remote work is here to stay? Do you think that this trend will echo in the Caribbean as well?

• What have been your takeaways from 2020? How do you think remote work can be improved going forward, particularly for digital professionals/

• What role do you see digital professionals playing in advancing remote work in Jamaica and the Caribbean?

• What advice do you have to give individuals that are starting their careers and being introduced to remote work at such an early stage?

When is the session and how do I sign up?

The session was on Tuesday (4 days ago). However, it is recorded and there’s another session that will be kept on the 20th of March. The session on the 20th of March is on Nearshoring. Funnily, I’m intending to ask you if you could be one of the panellists.

We are aiming to answer the questions related to what remote employers (nearshore companies) are looking for from digital professionals.
Are you available and interested in being on the panel?

btw, all our events can be found on meetup: Jamaican Developers Group (Kingston, Jamaica) | Meetup

I am lost I need help with ux/ui design

Hi @Meeka, what kind of help do you need?

Here are some resources and communities you can take a look at:

Jamaica UI/UX Designer Network

A space for Jamaican based UX designers, Product Designers, Interaction Designers, Visual Designers, UX Researchers and aspiring designers to share their journey, collaborate with each other and find job/project opportunities

Join the UI/UX Designer Network on LinkedIn:

Recording of the UI/UX Career Day Event:

Courses

UI / UX Design Specialization

The Complete App Design Course - UX, UI and Design Thinking

https://www.udemy.com/course/the-complete-app-design-course-ux-and-ui-design/

Google Digital Garage

where is the UX/UI community ?

You can find the UX/UI on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/groups/9011923

ok thanks you :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

Assistant please i dont see where i can communicate with any in the ux/ui community that what i am seeing help me please