Also, does JAD have any open source projects?
Can anyone tell me how I can begin my great journey of contributing to the glorious open source community?
Original author: Jamel on Telegram: https://t.me/jamaicandevelopers
Hacktoberfest still has 6 days left. so head to GitHub and find a repo with the hacktoberfest banner, can also search by a language you’re most comfortable with.
read the docs and the contribution guide for info, pick an issue and then ask if you may attack the problem
get the app running, add your fix, run your tests, submit the PR and then it’s just waiting for fo the approval
Hacktoberfest is open to everyone in our global community. Whether you’re a developer, student learning to code, event host, or company of any size, you can help drive growth of open source and make positive contributions to an ever-growing community. All backgrounds and skill levels are encouraged to complete the challenge.
- Hacktoberfest is a celebration open to everyone in our global community.
- Pull requests can be made in participating GitHub-hosted repositories/projects , classified with the Hacktoberfest topic.
- You can sign up anytime between October 1 and October 31.
It is hosted by Digital Ocean.
Great advice… Hacktoberfest is probably the best time to start.
I also recommend the following:
- pick an open-source project based on the language or framework you’re familiar with and interested in. It will make your life easier.
- find a mentor, collaborator or advisor, it makes the process a whole lot easier and fun.
- get a grasp for the best practices via reading the docs or watch documentations.
follow Jamel advice
To get started, here are things you will need to get familiar with and setup:
- Git (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkUdhyuRHws)
- Github (https://try.github.io/)
- The environment for the language or framework
Visit Does JAD have any open source projects? to find out more.